Welcome to Our World!

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Missing My Dad

I can't believe it has been a year since I lost my sweet Dad. The year has certainly brought healing and closure, but I don't think I will ever get over missing him. When ever something wonderful or something terrible happens in my life, I still wish I could tell him. I want him to cheer when Nick scores five baskets in his game. I want him to celebrate when Ben wins a blue ribbon at his swim meet. I want him to hear about our new home and our pool and how happy we are here.

My Dad was always my biggest supporter. Whether it was celebrating the successes in life, or consoling me during the failures, my Dad was always there. I remember during my senior year in high school, I had the lead in "Heaven Can Wait". We did a special dress rehearsal the day before our opening just for the parents of the cast. About five minutes before the show was to start, the drama teacher sent one of the kids to see how the crowd looked. He came back with a perplexed look on his face. "There's just one guy out there...he's sitting on the front row." I didn't have to look to know who it was. It was my Dad, front and center, ready to see the show.

My Dad always seemed to know what was best for me. It was almost like a sixth sense. I had a curfew of 11:00 p.m. during high school. If I wasn't home by that time, I had to call. When ever I would call, Dad would ask where I was and who I was with. There were some houses that were automatically o.k. because he knew the kids, knew the parents and knew I was safe. If I was somewhere that I probably shouldn't be, he always knew. If I was at a friends house who happened to have an older brother with older friends who were having a party, he knew. If I was at a friends house whose parents were out of town, he knew. And he would say, "Be out in front of the house in 10 minutes. I will be there to pick you up." It was a gift.

I will forever be grateful for a wonderful father who blessed my life. I treasure the memories I have of him and I know I will be with him again. And although my world was just a little better place when he was here, I know that my world is a far better place because he was in it.






2 comments:

  1. Reading about your Dad brought tears to my eyes. It is hard to believe it has been a year. He lives on through all he taught you and now as you pass it on to your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet tribute to your Dad - truly he lives on - in YOU.

    ReplyDelete